Tuesday, April 8, 2014

thoughts on freedom



I had the opportunity to visit a friend of mine in prison, after 2 years of writing. 
I of course knowing the distance and the area decided that the motorcycle was really the only form of acceptable transportation for this journey.
So I packed an overnight bag, and headed west.
There was great cut off road after just a short bit of freeway riding that would make for a fun and beautiful journey.
I stopped by the Olustee Battle ground area, which I had seen the sign for many times, but never had been.  As I watch the video in the visitor center I am reminded of the blood that was shed to make most of any countries history.  It truly brings a sense of humility to my soul.  I personally have not been touched in my adult life of war related death. 
I have endured death of friends so I am sensitive to loss of any kind.  But to fight for a cause knowing that it might kill you.  This has not touched my life. 
Olustee has a very nice memorial, hiking loop and visitor center.  It also has a re-enactment every February on site.


As I continue on I pass prison after prison, work camps, etc.  I must have passed 10 of them during this trip.  My senses are heightened to this, as I know a Florida State Prison is the destination for my trip.
I reflect on the irony of me, riding my motorcycle, solo in the breeze.  An absolute feeling of freedom, in control of my own destiny and able to have the power to do this.  I am overwhelmed with a sense of gratitude, almost to the point of tears. 
I have come a long way since my “prison” of drugs and alcohol, 15 plus years clean….my journey has been one of many ups and downs, lots of disappointments.  Years of self-discovery and amazement at the woman I have become.  I have fought hard to have the life I live today.  I have discovered much of my self that I wish did not exist, however much more that I appreciate and understand.  I have grown to love.
So riding along and breathing in each tree, the mist in the air and every little thing I can see.  I am in appreciation of my freedom.
My GPS has the option for Fastest, Shortest or Off Road…. I have come to learn that Shortest usually makes for the most interesting routes and it also includes some off road.  So I follow it to a T in the road, which has turned to dirt/sand.  I have been on dirt before and just returned from the Rawhyde Adventure camp where they taught me how to ride on sand.  I had not, however, ever attempted any off road, SOLO.  So now is the time.  



I took a few deep breaths, thought back to some pearls of wisdom from Rawhyde and carried forward. 
Luckily the roads were mostly hard packed with briefs spits of sand….which wobbled me a little, however my confidence was growing with each mile.
It was fun!  I know I want to do more of this.  So the initial solo hurtle was past me. 
As I found the asphalt again and a nice place for lunch, the southern storm was blowing in.
I had quite a ways to go, so I put on my rain gear, topped off the petrol and kept on the path.
The rain was pounding down, I past a few accidents, one really bad one with a truck that flipped in the swampy ditch.  I was grateful for my obnoxious high viz gear.



It was almost dark as I pulled into my hotel.  I checked in, in a puddle.
Next day it was raining even harder, but I wanted to get to the prison and make the most of visiting hours.
My friend has to serve 30 years, he has been in since he was 17 years old, and he is now 31.


My belief is that due to the nature of his crime that he has served his share.  He is a changed person.  It was sad to see and hear of the inhumane conditions.  I was impressed and amazed at his excellent acceptance and attitude towards his situation.
 After a very good visit, I head back out, from behind the coils and coils of razor wiring fences. 
I am once again reminded of my journey to freedom, I am grateful to have had the rough life of alcoholism. 
It has created a person who can celebrate the smallest thing and has taught me to have a passion for life that is tangible.  Today I am so grateful that I can treat myself like a human being.  I can celebrate who I am as a woman.  I can take charge of my own destiny.
My moto takes me off into the sun.  It represents so much more to me than what can be seen by the untrained eye.


No comments:

Post a Comment