Thursday, April 25, 2013

Apache Trail....Dirt Riding and Camping at Roosevelt Lake

 I have always wanted to ride my "dual sport" moto off road...but due to the fact that i am always SOLO...i find this to be a daunting challenge..So after purchase and mounting of my new Heidenau K-60 Scouts!  I am ready to break into this world that i have so long admired!  (that story coming soon)  
So with the help of my guide Tim, he says trial by fire!  Which means deep in with the sharks first!!  He decides to take me the infamous Apache Trail!  Much longer that this but near 30 miles of gravelly, rocky, STEEP down hill and up hill sections...with the cliff walls littered with cars that did not make it!!  Yikes!!  
So after entering the Tonto Forest...we head east on hwy 88 towards Tortilla Flat...this is a beautiful road which passes Saguaro Lake...the road is curvy and scenic and paved up to Tortilla...this is where most motorcycles stop...
The usual bar and gift shop are here of course!  So after stopping for a cold drink and preparing myself...mentally....we head out towards 88 a couple miles down and it turns to dirt!!  i am following as i have never done this before and i have no idea what speed to go or what gear to be in!  LOL ...I also do not totally trust my BIKE ...which was probably the worst part for me.  
After taking it nice and easy and stopping frequently to catch my breath!  I was so proud of myself to make it to the Dam and Bridge of Roosevelt Lake!
I made it, we passed one car wreck, which definitely unnerved me...but i carried on!!  Then we got to pavement!  That felt so wierd! :)
Taking a little food break to enjoy the view and congratulate myself....then off to the ranger station to find some camping...my first time moto camping as well....now before i slander AZ...let me tell you that i grew up in the beautfful Pacific Northwest!  So my experience with campgrounds is pretty substantial!  And this so-called "campground"  was basically an RV park in the sand....ughhh...not a single tree to be seen except for 2 dead ones, which made for some great photos in the style of Edgar Allen Poe, along with the dead Raven!  
My fave time to be in Arizona is at night...so the beauty of the stars really make up for everything....
I was so tired and had no problems sleeping....
Next morning, coffee, and off we go heading NW on hwy 188, fairly scenic drive, a bit chilly, connecting back to hwy 87 South.  This road never disappoints!  Back to the beginning and then Sedona bound!  what a great ride!  This is Mad Map AZ #25, partial as in it does not suggest the unpaved section!  
But what a great ride and now i am over the huge fear, of dirt!  I now long for adventure even more then before and when i see a dirt side road...which is everywhere in Arizona!!  My heart skips a beat in excitement! 
I am definitely grateful for "trial by fire".  It was a great confidence builder.
















No comments:

Post a Comment