Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Lake Havasu

Due to the extreme heat in Lake Havasu City, i left late at night, just took the uneventful route of I-40 to South 95 to get there....it was still over 90 degrees at midnight!  Yikes....i got into the house which was my friends from Washington State...what a great place this will be when the construction is finished...after spending 2 nights here i head out.  I stop to top off the petrol, leaving at 5:30 am due to the extreme heat conditions...
After stopping to take some pics of the world famous London Bridge of Havasu, i head out south on 95....the most scenic part of this ride is definitely through the Parker Dam area, the jagged mountains and beautiful greenery surrounding the Bill Williams river are pretty breathtaking.  Then heading to hwy 72 connecting to hwy 60, is a pretty straight road in flatlands of desert, the road is speckled with a few small "towns" one being called Hope.   Where the sign leaving says "YOU ARE NOW BEYOND HOPE"  not very encouraging.
However once off 60 a short connection on hwy 71 that leads to Congress...I stop for gas and ask where to get a good breakfast...The lady does not hesitate and says "Ranch House" 9 miles up....Well to me FOOD is a non hesitation type of deal...so its good to me!  I am now on the incredible 89A....After a steep elevation incline and extremely fun curves and vistas...i come up to the Ranch House!  There are about 12 bikes out front, 2 four wheelers, several cars!  Looks good....This place is vibrant with sassy ladies working there!!  I sit at the breakfast bar....order my cheese omelet!  And wow!  what delicious grub...the older gentlemen is sitting next to me and has lived half his life in Page, AZ and the other half here in Yarnell, AZ...so he is a mountain of wonderful historical information!  My fave part of traveling... i call it the Pie and Coffee Effect!
After a very relaxing and enjoyable breakfast I head up and 89A through the cute town of Prescott.  Over Mingus Mountain to Jerome, this road 89A is extremely curvy and the pavement is not the best...riding skills are necessary....and the side of the road is scattered with roadside memorials...reminding me to stay careful and also making me a little sad of those that never made it home.

I stay on 89A following it through Cottonwood, connecting to Beaver Head Flats road....and back to my place in Sedona...
Another nice ride...i only speckled a bit of one Mad Map ride here...but will head back and check out the other side another day when I am not trying to head home and have been beaten by heat, wind and miles....















No comments:

Post a Comment