Saturday, June 22, 2013

Mogollon Rim Ride


I was pretty excited to get back in the dirt…there is so much of Arizona to be seen only that way…the loveliness of the back roads and high desert vistas…are amazing…and the traffic here is pretty bad so bring on the rocky packed forest roads anytime.
I had wanted to go to Pinetop to see a job I did a few years back…and I had a small route picked out after mulling over my maps.  It had mostly paved roads and a short distance of dirt…. then after speaking with a few locals I was told of the Mogollon Rim road (pronounced MUGGY-OWN) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mogollon_Rim

This absolutely is my new route!  It covered most of the distance to Pinetop via the Ridge of the mountains…it boasted the “most scenic road in Arizona” in all the articles that I had read.
Well this has my attention for sure!  Riding on dirt with scenic vistas!  I am ALL IN!!  
So after the beautiful ride on hwy 260 North out of Camp Verde, I turn left onto Hwy 87 North, for just a short bit, and then right onto Forest Road 300, which is also Mogollon Rim Road.  The signs are small and a bit hard to find if you are not on high alert seeking them…but once on this road….it is head east until pavement arrives again, I believe it is just under 50 miles, but I could not find anything with this info on it…

The articles were right!!  It is an amazing visually stunning road…with the feeling of being the only one in the Universe…a feeling that I like very much.  Every time I pulled over for a photo opportunity I was like I wish my little cabin was “right here”.
I suggest you take your time on this beautiful road, as when you have to get off of it…civilization is such a let down (haha) Seriously though, bring some snacks and plenty of water and take advantage of the views.
There are several campgrounds and trail heads to enjoy along the way…when you get to Apache land the road is a bit rougher and the traffic is a bit heavier as I was getting closer to 260.  About 1/3 of a mile before the dirt road stops, I hit a soft spot in the rocks and wobble, wobble, wobble went down.   Then 2 strapping young beef muffins that were driving by jumped out of their truck and got my bike up and on level ground.  Then off they went, like Two Abercrombie and Fitch Moto Angels!! 
Right across from the end of the Rim road is the Mogollon Rim Visitor Center.  Stop in here and take a look around…the view out back is nice and the Forest Service ladies in there are wonderfully pleasant and very helpful. 

From here I turn onto Hwy 260 east, which is a nice winding and well paved road all the way to the quaint little town of Pinetop.  After checking into a cute cabin on the lake, I head over to St Mary’s of the Angels Catholic Church to see the Gold Leaf job I did there a few years back.  A storm was really blowing in, so it made the scene dark, windy, ominous and the Gold shine brightly.   It was very impressive (insert pat on the ol’ back here)

The next morning I head back to 260 heading West, stopping again in the Visitor Center to ask some questions about another dirt road going back to Sedona…they tell me of Control Road which is a right turn at Tonto Village and  25 miles of lovely turns more beautiful views and hard packed red road.  Several miles before Hwy 87 there is a beautiful river spot to take a break from the heat and dust, what an incredible surprise.  Here i was able to take my V-Strom on my first water crossing, proving that my Gaerne boots are truly waterproof.  It was all very exciting!  This takes you out to Hwy 87, head North up through Strawberry and then back to Hwy 260,which leads to Camp Verde, what a lovely sweeping and curvy ride.  Then back home from another great bug killing adventure.  
 Thanks for coming along for the ride!

Showing some love for my fellas "down under" who are doing the Great Australian Ride, raising money for SIDS for KIDS.   http://www.thegreataustralianride.com/



























No comments:

Post a Comment