Saturday, July 6, 2013

Sedona to Moab via Monument Valley


Sedona to Moab via Monument Valley

This trip was extra cool because I am going to meet my big brother Chuck in Moab, and his friend Brenda…so not only was the ride the reason to go, but family and to see Arches National Park.
The first part of the ride is just 179 south to I-17 north to get out of the Sedona area.  This takes you through some pretty sweeping elevations up into Flagstaff…then a quick hop on I-40, a major highway, then left onto Hwy 89 North, which is the beautiful road that I have caught many times since I have been out here. It covers a lot of different areas of Arizona and never disappoints.
Riding on 89 to Hwy 160 is pretty open with lots of vistas of the Painted Desert.  Then you come to Hwy 160 towards Tuba City….this you ride for awhile it takes you through small desert mounds that look like you are on another planet, then it opens up into flat red rock area, into the little town of Tuba City, good place to gas up or get some cold drinks or snacks.
As you carry on through the desert it is a 2 lane HWY so lots of passing opportunities.  Take them, as there are a few miles of a whole lot of nothing.  Then it cuts through some large cool jagged boulders, seems another landscape completely until you come over the hill and it spits you out into the small town of Kayenta, AZ.  This is where you connect to Monument Valley ride, which is Hwy 163.

From this road, after a brief ride through Kayenta you open up to Monument Valley, it is just what the pictures I had seen my whole life….one view in particular I was seeking from growing up with National Geographic Magazine.  Not long before I was in Utah, my first time.  As always my favorite way to see a new state is via Motorcycle!
I can tell that this state I will like to see more of in my future.  But for now Moab bound! 
Hwy 163 winds up through Mexican Hat, then it starts to get a little green, I see bits of rivers and reservoirs.  Making me feel very alive!  Ride up towards the town of Blanding where I now connect to Hwy 191, which will take me all the way into Moab.  The sun is setting soon, so I head north quickly.  This takes me through more sweeping views and beautiful landscapes.  The early evening and twilight hours are the most beautiful here in the southwest, the stars are amazing.
I make it into Moab check into the hotel where my brother and Brenda are staying I find a gem of a place to eat, called Zax.  What fantastic pizza in this cool little town of Moab, which has a very “college” and “Colorado hip” vibe. 
My brother and Brenda join me and we catch up and plan out day for tomorrow we are exploring the Arches National Park.
It starts to rain…I call it another very happy and successful day. 










Mexican Hat


ahhhhhhhhhh....
Arches National Park, Moab Utah

http://www.nps.gov/arch/planyourvisit/index.htm 

Arches National Park, Moab Utah















Arches National Park, Moab Utah

No comments:

Post a Comment