Saturday, July 6, 2013

Sedona to Telluride


I got (a few) wild hairs to ride up to Colorado.   I was invited by Greg to come visit and ride….and well heck I am so close…so why not?  

My morning started out with a chilly ride up Oak Creek Canyon, which is 89A North out of Sedona.  My good friend Sherry and her Buddy Dillon are on their cross country trip in her Fiat and at a hotel in Flagstaff, so  I stop in there for a visit and some brekkie.  
Then the next part of my ride is the same from Sedona to Kayenta as when I rode up to Moab.

 However, instead of taking Hwy 163 through Monument Valley I stay on 160 all the way to Cortez, Colorado.  This little town is also a great stopping point for gas, snacks etc.
After stopping at the visitors center in Cortez where I picked up and awesome map of Colorado I carry on up to hwy 145 north…this is where the fun begins.  Mountains are always great to ride in.  Not only are the views fantastic, but you have to really just be one with your motorcycle and concentrate on the tight curves, accelerating inclines and of course watch out for animals and rocks in the roadway…however I think the most dangerous animal in American is the RV! 
Lizard Head Pass is a most scenic viewpoint and a safe place to pull over as well…the traffic is pretty light and it is still daylight as I pull into the famous ski town of Telluride.    There is a concert on the green and all the buildings look like I am in Europe somewhere.
Very cute and quaint.  I have crossed over into Mountain Time Zone so I have lost an hour.  I want to get a good night sleep because the next few days are going to be all mountain riding.
My first view of Colorado is a good one.














No comments:

Post a Comment